Exploring That Night

That fateful night plays out in my mind over and over and I feel like a ghost reenacting its earthly past to no end, forever at home, yet forever and ever lost. I still can't wipe those blinding headlights from my eyes, those headlights that blurred through me nightmarishly on that night. I've thought about things I could have done differently on that night, something I could have done to avoid fate, but you know, you can't avoid what you don't know is coming, like the murderer of my family, for example. Eventually I did know the murderer was coming, but I only saw his vague elusive shadow in the corner of my eye seemingly every minute of the day, and every time I turned around to see if he was there, I saw nothing but the sprawling gorgeous mystery spreading thin and then unseen into the universe. I did not know who the murderer was until it was too late. Well, I can't really say too late, it's just that I didn't have a whole lot of time to stop him when I did discover who he was. Life is all about timing, and I ended up cutting it too close for comfort. Only seconds separated my family from the murderer.