Amy was the girl I saved from death, but she wasn't relieved or thrilled, she was crushed. I was bewildered when she plopped to the ground and said her boyfriend just died a few seconds ago. I thought to my horror that he must have been in the car that rolled down into the canyon. But I saw blood trickle down her forehead and figured she must be traumatized or in shock -- I mean I'm certainly no paramedic, but why else would she say her boyfriend just died a few seconds ago? Well, she told me he wasn't in the car. But she also told me that the blood on her forehead was her boyfriend's blood. Okay...

I had already called for an ambulance and they were there in a matter of minutes. They must have threaded through every strand of her hair and down to her scalp, looking for a cut that would have been the source of the blood on her forehead but the paramedics just looked up with startled faces and said she didn't have a scratch on her. Where could that blood have come from?

As the paramedics slide her into the ambulance to take her in for precautions, she said to me that her boyfriend just died -- a few minutes ago at this point -- in a car accident in his BMW, hit by a drunk driver. She even told me the interstection. Beverly Boulevard and 3rd Street.

Now, I'm an eating-disorder counselor, and I knew right away that she was anorexic. I was concerned about that. So I told her I'd meet her at Cedars-Sinai hospital. On the way to the hospital, curiosity got the best of me and I drove to the intersection where Amy said her boyfriend had just been killed in the car accident.

As I drove closer to the intersection, I could see the street spouting with those red flares the police lay down when there's a car wreck. A chill ran through me. I literally shivered. It wasn't long before I saw shards of windshield glittering from the asphalt. It was apparent that the bodies had already been taken away. But I saw a mangled BMW being lifted by a tow truck. The same kind of car that Amy said her boyfriend just died in. I asked a polite cop what had happened. He said a drunk driver killed a young man. I became breathless and dizzy. I quickly made my way to the hospital.